Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Deeps

I like the Puritans... there I said it.  Whats more, I like their prayers too. I did not always know that I liked their prayers. But one day I was a given great little book called "The Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions"
These prayers are great examples of  true worship. Jesus has told us that God is seeking true worshipers, those who will worship Him in spirit and truth (John 4:20-24). These prayers rehearse the greatness of God in all that He has done for us through His Son. And they do so with sincere heart and in deep truth.


One prayer in particular I have found especially powerful is called "The Deeps". It says:
Lord Jesus,
Give me a deeper repentance, 
                       a horror of sin, 
                       a dread of its approach;
Help me chastely to flee it,
                       and jealousy to resolve that my heart shall be thine alone.
Give me a deeper trust,
                       that I may lose myself  to find myself in thee,
                        the ground of my rest,
                        the spring of my being.
Give me deeper knowledge of thyself
                       as Saviour, Master, Lord, and King.
Give me deeper power in private prayer,
                       more sweetness in thy Word,
                       more steadfast grip on its truth.
Give me deeper holiness in speech, thought, action
                       and let me not seek moral virtue apart from thee.
Plough deep in me, great Lord, heavenly Husbandman,
                        that my being may be a tilled field,
                        the roots of grace spreading far and wide,
                              until thou alone art seen in me,
                              thy beauty golden like summer harvest,
                              thy fruitfulness as autumn plenty.
I have no Master by thee,
                         no law but thy will,
                         no delight but thyself
                         no wealth but that thou givest,
                         no good but that thou blessest,
                         no peace but that thouh bestowest.
I am nothing but that thou makest me,
I have nothing but that I receive from thee,
I can be nothing but that grace adorns me.
Quarry me deep, dear Lord,
                  and then fill me to overflowing with living water.


If you like Puritan prayers....or think that you might. Check out "The Valley of Vision". 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment